- Go inside the nearest building. You are looking for enclosed protection from the outside.
- When possible, select rooms above ground level (avoid basements). Many hazardous materials are heavier than air, will settle on lower levels.
- Close all doors and windows. The tighter and more complete the seal is the better. Close as many windows and doors between the outside and your shelter-in-place room as possible. Close curtains and then stay away from the windows.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a damp cloth or handkerchief.
- Close all vents and turn of any ventilation systems.
- Turn off all motors and fans. Still, non-moving air is the best. Turn off anything that creates wind, generates extra heat, or could generate sparks.
- Listen to the radio or TV for public announcements. Critical instructions and important information will be broadcast.
- Remain sheltered until the "All Clear" signal is given.